Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Organic shampoo Review

So I have recently switched to using baking soda instead of using shampoo, but I thought I would review two organic shampoos that I tried before making the switch.

I have a horribly dry, flaky scalp. As in if I let it go without some kind of dry scalp shampoo, it looks like a blizzard hit my head when I brush my hair. So in the past I used Head and Shoulders Dry Scalp Shampoo Plus Conditioner. It worked ok, but I always had a low level of flakiness, probably due to the hard water we have. But then I started being more conscious of the chemicals I put on my body and decided to switch to an organic shampoo.

I went to Walgreens to find a replacement shampoo and conditioner. They have a good selection of products that are more natural than regular shampoos. After looking for awhile, I decided to try the Jason Tea Tree Scalp Normalizing shampoo and Yes To Tomatoes conditioner. I chose these products because it says on the shampoo bottle, “Say goodbye to dry, flaky, itchy scalp”, they have less nasty chemicals in them, and they were on sale. Plus the shampoo has a cute koala on the bottle. The first couple times I used the shampoo, it worked fine, but after a week I noticed it made my scalp more flaky and itchy than when I used the Head and Shoulders, even with the conditioner. Next.

I decided I would try to find something at Clover’s Natural Market instead. As I mentioned in a previous blog, Clover’s has a huge selection of products. Which means a lot of ingredient reading. Remember, just because something has “organic” or “natural” on the label, that doesn’t mean it is free of harmful chemicals, and Clover’s has plenty of examples.

I looked at probably 15 different shampoos. For me, it isn’t just a matter of being chemical-free, but it also has to be a price I am willing to pay. I found the perfect combination: Organix South Thera Neem Shampoo. It claims to be “perfect for those with sensitive scalps…” I decided to try it out.

This shampoo is thinner than most, and you are supposed to massage it into the scalp, then leave it for 3-5 minutes. It smells ok, and it does keep the flakiness of my scalp to a minimum, but there is still flakiness when I use this shampoo.

Most recently I have been using baking soda to clean my hair. I just make up a paste with water, massage some into my scalp, and rinse. Right now I am following with Yes To Tomatoes conditioner, and the plan is to switch to apple cider vinegar when the conditioner runs out. This works just fine for cleaning my hair, but the flakiness persists. It is less flaky than ever before, but I think I am just destined to have a dry scalp forever. But I tried, and now people who read this blog have a handy review of a couple “organic” shampoos.

3 comments:

  1. Hey- April found a good shampoo I forgot what it was though. I have switched to "no poo" for every other shampooing followed by my conditioner that doesnt has crap in it. I haven't bought good shampoo to replace the crap kind I have yet- basically because I keep forgetting.

    I have also been using baking soda as face wash and I like it! I just found a recipe for deoderant also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will have to try the baking soda for facewash now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy reading your article about hair care for it is my passion as well. You might be interested to join my Hair Spa | Styling Party. I'll be pleased to share techniques in massage, masking and moisturizing to get your hair to where you want it to be. I bet you'll gonna enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete